Indonesia is an archipelago country has more than 200 million citizens. There are thousand islands and cultures on each island. They live be separated by ocean. Indonesia has more ethnics and cultures that are unique from other country. Based on statistic data of Indonesia has about 1128 ethnic and more than thousand culture at Indonesia. Although Indonesia has variation ethnic and culture they can live together. Indonesia has a motto “Bhineka Tungga Ika” mean unity in diversity.
Indonesia has many vernacular (traditional language) from each ethnic. But Indonesia has one language that can unite all of ethnic, it is Indonesian’s language. If we go to other province, we never have problems with language. Since a child, all schools in Indonesia teach Indonesia language to their students.
Indonesia has more traditional art such as traditional house, traditional dance, traditional song, traditional music instrument, traditional sport, traditional game, and traditional dresses. All this diversity is wealth for Indonesia. And, we should maintain and preserve forever.
Indonesia has more than one religion. Islam is the religion of the most widely embraced by the citizen. The other religion are christian, Budhist and Hindu. The motto of Indonesia make them unite, although live with different religion, but they can live together and respect each other.
There are some ethnic on each island in Indonesia, such as:
- Sumatera Island : Aceh, Batak, Minang, Mentawai, Gayo, Komering, dll.
- Java Island : Betawi, Sunda, Jawa, Kutai, Tunjung dll.
- Kalimantan Islan : Dayak, Limbai, Bawo, Kutai, Bakung, dll.
- Bali and southeast Nusa Island : Bali, Flores, Sumbawa, Sasak, Flores, dll
- Maluku island : Ambon, Buru, Pagu, Ternate, Tidore, dll
- Sulawaesi : Minahasa, Makasar, Gorontalo, Sangir, dll
- Irian Jaya island : Asmat, Aero, Gebe, Sentani, Sawuy, dll.
Because of this diversity of ethnic, more people from other country come to Indonesia and learn Indonesia culture, how they can live together with diversity. And, we must be careful if our culture will be stolen or be destructed by other culture.